Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Balsamic Cucumber Salad

I am always looking for new vegetable recipes. I'm not talking broccoli or tomato pasta, or a chicken dish with vegetables. I'm talking about small "side dishes" that are good, wholesome, tasty ways of eating more veggies. If I'm just serving pasta, I go "...something's not right here" and I look for a small veggie side dish that's more than just chopping the vegetable and saying "here it is!" My mom did that when I was little. Not cool. Raw carrots are not fun. (But they will be in a few days, when I make some homemade ranch dressing...)

Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen came to me in my time of need. I pinned her recipe a few weeks ago, and I couldn't wait for the perfect opportunity to try it. Tonight was that night. Mmmmmmm. I have no words.


My beautiful cucumbers. They had no idea what was coming at them. Er, going to be put on them.


Balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, some garlic, sugar, and mayonnaise.. Yum.

Balsamic Cucumber Salad

Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen (recipe)

Ingredients:
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I had baaarely 3, but it still turned out fine)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree (I minced 2 cloves really teeny)
- Sea salt and black pepper

Instructions:
1. Chop the cucumbers into small pieces - shape, size, and thickness is up to you!
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and garlic puree
3. Put the cucumbers in the serving bowl of your choice. Drizzle dressing over the cucumbers, and stir until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper
4. Serve immediately, or chill for an hour before serving


Picture my family, looking at me, thinking "why on earth is she taking a picture, can't I just dig in already?"

Yeah, my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment